Fighting the flu or common cold isn’t only about eating healthy and getting lots of rest, which are two important recommendations. There are other external factors to consider when boosting your immune system. While most people associate chiropractic treatment with improving neck and back pain, there are plenty more benefits than that!
Due to the recent coronavirus outbreak, here at Hughes Chiropractic and Massage, we are here to help strengthen your immune system. Our primary concern is client safety and well-being, and we encourage all our patients to do what is best for your health and wellness.
The following article will define the role of our immune system, common issues with the immune system and how your immune system can greatly benefit from receiving chiropractic care.
What is the Role of Our Immune System?
While the immune system is designed to protect the body, sometimes this system doesn’t always work correctly. There are several reasons as to why the immune system stops functioning properly and they may include the following:
Our immune system is a blend of protein, tissues, organs, and cells, all of which need to be working properly together in order for us to stay healthy.
What are Common Issues with the Immune System?
Studies have shown that rear-end collisions at speeds as low as 5-10mph can cause whiplash and other injuries to the driver and passengers.
- Autoimmune disease: this is a condition where the immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells
- Cancer: while normal cells divide in an orderly way, cancerous cells divide uncontrollably and destroy body tissue
- Immunodeficiency disorder: this condition prevents your body from fighting infections, making it easier for you to catch viruses and diseases
- An overactive immune system: having an allergic reaction is one of the most common examples of having an overactive immune system as well as having asthma or eczema
How Can Chiropractic Care Help my Immune System?
Chiropractic therapy is primarily used to help the body heal and relieve pain. It’s true that the foundation of our practice is based on the direct correlation between the alignment of the vertebrae and the body’s ability to function, which includes the immune system.
When vertebrae are misaligned, the nerves in your spine are unable to properly communicate with the brain. Which is essentially like turning on an unplugged lamp. The function just isn’t there, which can lead to injuries or illness. But according to the authors of Chiropractic Journal of Australia, chiropractic treatment has a positive effect on the immune systems response function.
Considering the following ways chiropractic manipulation can help boost your immune system:
1. Getting adjusted has a positive effect on your body’s immune response. When getting an adjustment, higher reports of immunoglobulin G and immunoglobulin M have been found in the body, suggesting that spinal manipulation has a positive influence on your body’s immune response, according to Chiropractic & Osteopathy.
2. Chiropractic care offers greater immune competence to patients. In a study conducted by Dr. Ronald Pero, chief of cancer prevention search at New York’s Preventive Medicine Institute, he found that chiropractic patients who had cared for five years had 200% greater immune competence than those who did not receive care.
3. Adjustments help fight off immunodeficiency disorders. At Life Chiropractic University, researchers took a group of HIV positive patients and adjusted them over a 6-month. Nearly 50% of patients who were adjusted reported having higher numbers of CD4 cells (a critical immune system component) in their body. However, the patients who weren’t adjusted experienced a decrease in the cells over the same period.
Chiropractic care is important, you should take to improve your overall health. Please visit us online today at www.rentonchiropracticcare.com or contact us by phone at 425-271-4543 to schedule an appointment. We are here to support your immune system!