Chiropractic Care for Whiplash
Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when your head undergoes a sudden backward and forward movement. Whiplash causes the muscles and ligaments of your neck to strain beyond their normal range of motion. While rear-end vehicle collisions are the most common culprits of a whiplash injury, other causes that create a sudden impact on your neck can lead to whiplash.
Whiplash injuries involve the muscles, tendons, discs, and nerves located in your neck. It can be difficult to alleviate this pain. However, chiropractic care can help. At Hughes Chiropractic and Massage in Renton, WA, our experts provide natural solutions for whiplash pain. Our chiropractor offers personalized treatment to help you return to a pain-free life.
Causes of Whiplash
Apart from an auto injury, whiplash can be caused by other incidents, including:
- Contact sports, like rugby and football
- Horse riding accidents
- Falling off a bicycle
- Physical abuse
- Personal injuries
Symptoms of Whiplash
Whiplash can be a relatively mild condition. However, it can also culminate into excruciating pain and discomfort if left untreated. Common symptoms of whiplash include:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Muscle spasms
- Swelling and tenderness of the neck
- Pain radiating from shoulders or arms
- Jaw pain (temporomandibular joint symptoms)
- Headaches or migraines
- Visual disturbances
- Temporary loss of motion or reduced movement in the neck
- Difficulties with swallowing
After an auto accident, injuries like bruises, fractures, and cuts are obvious, and you know when to seek treatment. However, soft tissue injuries like whiplash may take time to exhibit symptoms and can easily be brushed off. Failure to seek prompt treatment for a whiplash injury can result in future chronic health complications. This is why it is vital to seek treatment immediately after an auto accident. Our chiropractor can detect underlying conditions that have not yet presented symptoms so we can treat them early on.
Chiropractic Treatments for Whiplash
When you visit our facility, our chiropractor will perform a physical exam to diagnose your condition. We will then create a personalized treatment plan for you using natural techniques. Our chiropractor may use one or a combination of methods for your neck pain, including:
- Spinal manipulation: Our chiropractor will manually readjust the spine to ensure that your back and neck are properly aligned. Spinal manipulation rebalances the body, relieves pain, and restores your full range of motion.
- Soft tissue therapy: Our chiropractor may use myofascial release, massage therapy, or trigger point therapy to improve blood flow and promote healing in the neck.
- Corrective exercises: Our chiropractor provides stretching and strengthening exercises to rehabilitate your neck and prevent recurring pain.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor for Neck Pain Relief
If you have an auto injury or are experiencing whiplash symptoms, we can help. At Hughes Chiropractic and Massage in Renton, WA, our chiropractor will diagnose and treat your condition using natural techniques. Call us today to schedule an appointment.